Blog writing seems like an interesting career. You can do blogging as a job from anywhere you want if you have a laptop and a network; that way, you are your own boss. How cool is that? In case you are willing to make blogging your profession, then you will find this post useful.
What is Blogging?
An online blog is short for a web blog. A community where readers can share experiences and information about a wide range of topics online is an online journal. Bloggers are able to reverse the chronological order of their posts on their blogs; new posts appear at the top, while the oldest posts are at the bottom.
Why Should You Do Blogging?
With blogging, you can reach hundreds of millions of people around the world. You can promote your business or products with blogging. Providing valuable content to an audience is a way for attracting them to your blog so that they will return the favor.
20 Things to Know Before Choosing Blogging as a Job
Make a Plan before Starting Blogging as a Job
It is imperative that you make a plan before creating your first blog. Think about why you blog. Is it to promote your business? Or Do you earn money? Then, set goals based on your wishes. Consider following the style of your successful competitor if you are not sure how to write.
See how the content is presented to the readers and what various strategies they use to maintain top rankings. A competitor analysis will not only enable you to plan ahead but will also provide fresh ideas and the latest information in your industry. Many people will find this offensive. You're not copying and pasting, You're just seeking advice from them.
Choose the Right Topic
It is now time to pick the right topic or niche for your article. It is because you want to write about the niche and publish it on your blog. Each time you create new content, you must choose one specific topic. You can write and publish articles in a variety of types of blogs.
If you choose a popular topic, you should be very careful because the competition for your writing will increase. If others are making more money writing about a topic, don't copy them. In case you dislike the area, you are not able to understand the content. Don't choose a topic that you are passionate about, because it may bore the audience.
Do a Thorough Market Research
To prepare for anything new, you need to conduct some background research on the area of choice so that you know what to expect and how to proceed. Likewise, blogging has the same effect.
As a result of doing proper research, you will be able to;
- By analyzing this data, you can determine the popularity of the topic you have chosen among your audience.
- It enables you to analyze the target population and potential customers
- Provide you with information on how to improve your relationships with your customers so you can make more sales or achieve your objectives
- To help you reduce your risk factors while making decisions.
- Give an overview of new possibilities for your blog.
Blogging is Nothing but Passion
The ability to write is one of the most important skills for a blogger. Bloggers who are good writers can easily start blogs. It may soon become boring if you start a blog just for money. It takes time for a blog to succeed. With utmost honesty, provide the information the audience is trying to find online.
Passion is the key to successful blogging. A passion for something you love is a way to work hard and be smart at it. Blogging is a challenge if you do not love it. It is therefore important to have a passion for blogging before one chooses blogging as a career.
Choose the Blogging Platform
Next, you need to choose a blogging platform. You can choose from several online platforms including WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Blogger, etc. WordPress tops the list of blogging platforms in the 2019 survey of all website blogs. According to estimates, WordPress powers over 45% of all websites.
In addition, you may be confused when you type in 'WordPress' into Google because you will find both wordpress.org and wordpress.com.
WordPress is an open-source content management system (CMS) for creating blogs and websites without knowing any coding. There is a free version of this software available from WordPress.org, while WordPress.com is a service that allows people to host WordPress blogs.
Choose the Right Domain Name
Decide which blogging platform is best for you and then choose the domain name that will ensure your success. People remember this brand, and it also helps you to rank higher on Google. Choosing the right domain name can be challenging if you are a novice.
Following are some tips to help you register a good domain name.
- Domain name registrars can be found online.
- You can find your domain name by searching for it.
- Make your final choice of a domain name.
- Choosing a domain suffix such as .com or .net can help you create an effective web presence.
- You need to buy a domain name.
- Make sure Domain IDs are protected.
Choose Web Hosting Services
It is a necessity of blogging to have a web host. Usually, web hosts offer space on their servers that can be used to host your blog, store its data, and keep it active 24/7. Hosting is essential for running a blog. All blog files, images, scripts, and other media are hosted on a web server and served to users using a web browser.
You should consider paying for hosting because,
- The domain name of the free hosting service will be the company name of the host, for example, fashionblog.wordpress.com
- People are unlikely to take this seriously because it looks unprofessional.
If you need web hosting, consider paying for it. Due to the high level of competition in the market, you will find low prices for good services.
Plan to Structure Your Blog
To make your blog easier to read, you need to structure it properly. You can also increase your blog's ranking as a result of SEO when it satisfies your readers.
Blogs consist of four basic elements:
- Your audience will look at this first, so try to make it attractive and convey information on this topic before beginning the content.
- The Introduction of a post is the portion that should keep readers interested in the whole thing. It is also important to include keywords.
- This is the part of the document which contains the main content. Make it read easily and logically by avoiding long paragraphs and making it quick to read.
- This last section is meant to help readers decide or take the appropriate actions.
Brainstorm New Blog Post Ideas
There is an enormous amount of competition among bloggers on almost all topics, which is why when you succeed you will have to come up with new ideas that will attract and thus help more readers. Discovering new ideas that readers are excited about is quite a challenge. You can find various ideas online that you can use if you are unsure where to begin.
You may want to consider these:
- Having a conversation with an influential person
- Providing complete step-by-step instructions for solving problems
- A day in the life of a freelancer would be interesting.
Content is King
Having completed all the steps above, the next thing you'll need to do is to begin preparing the blog's content. How can a blogger get noticed and succeed in the blogging world with the content of his or her blog?
As a brief summary,
- An effective headline should grab the reader's attention. In most cases, people read headlines to determine whether the information they seek is contained in the content.
- Engage readers with a captivating introduction and keep them engaged throughout the whole post
- In simple language, let your readers know what they want to know
- Consider adding trust factors to tips that assist readers in taking action.
- Ask readers for their opinions by being engaging
Need the Patience to Achieve Success
A successful blogging career won't happen overnight, as I stated earlier. It will take time to get more traffic and to become visible to search engines since your readers are the ones who help you succeed. Due to the high level of competition in this field, it is important to be extremely patient to achieve your goal.
In today's fast-paced world, everyone could benefit from a little more patience.
- You need to make yourself wait. Patience is something you can practice by making yourself wait.
- Do not waste your time on unimportant activities.
- You Need to Be Aware of What Makes You Impatient
- Taking deep breaths will help you relax
Any successful person in any field must possess self-discipline. It's like saying "Being yourself even when you don't desire to be yourself". If you want to become a successful blogger, you are completely in control. Especially if you plan to not blog just for fun, staying disciplined is important.
To gain a place in people's hearts, a writer must work hard and publish consistently. It is, therefore, necessary to be extra motivated. If you want to feel better, go back to your reasons for blogging whenever you're feeling down. Don't put off the mundane work and don't count on your blog's visitors to get you through the day.
Consistency is the Key
Blogs cannot be successful even if they contain brilliant content, as you cannot expect a favorable return on your investment. Your constant presence not only draws attention from your audiences but from search engines as well. People will want to stay tuned to your blog if you regularly post quality content.
It also displays your commitment to this field, which builds trust among readers and thus makes you more popular.
Best tips for blogging consistently.
- Set goals and prioritize them when it comes to blogging
- Make sure the content is prepared in advance
- Make a plan for what all needs to be done in the next few months
- Motivate yourself by joining social media groups
Target More Income Streams
Writing content alone will not generate a decent income from blogging. Find out more ways to make money from your blog. Blogging typically generates income from Google Ads placed in your content, if Google thinks your blog is worth mentioning. It will take some time, and the amount of traffic will also affect the amount received.
It is therefore important to find a variety of other approaches. Consider the following:
- By way of direct marketing
- Through Affiliate Marketing
- Paying influencers to write reviews
- Through online courses
- Providing sponsored products
- Advertising your services as a freelancer.
Ability to Adapt to Changes
In exchange for a change in circumstances, adaptability refers to learning new knowledge and skills. Therefore, the first thing you must consider while becoming a blogger is being highly adaptable in every way since blogging is a long-term process. With each passing year, new techniques are emerging, and to cope up with them you must learn and master them.
What are the chances that this will happen?
- Make sure you focus on improving
- Exercise on your own volition, not for the sake of someone else.
- Accept improvement and be confident
- Taking responsibility for your actions
- Experiencing new things will help you to grow
Use SEO to Rank
Rankings in search engine results indicate the position of your blog. Search engines will display your blog when people enter related topics when the ranking is high. It is of utmost importance to have your blog appear on the first page of search results, as organic traffic is extremely beneficial to your blog. Due to the high level of mutability in SEO algorithms, it is imperative that you follow specific practices to achieve a high ranking.
- Choose a domain name that captivates your audience
- Use relevant keywords in the content at the appropriate places.
- Maintain a proper blog structure
- Take advantage of all social media platforms to advertise
- Provide people with quality content that SEOs can understand.
- Make use of backlinks.
- Maintain a regular posting schedule
Never Try the Black Hat Method
A blackhat technique is a way to rank higher using unethical methods that go against search engine guidelines. Initially, you may see results from these techniques, but they may not last long. Your blog will not gain anything in the long run, which will result in lower rankings and less organic traffic.
Therefore, you should avoid the following blackhat techniques:
- Using too many keywords
- Links that are paid
- All over the place spamming
- Backlinks to websites with no relevance to your content.
- Content that is copied from another source
Be Social and Find Ways to Grow Your Network
You can improve your business by being social, but you can also develop new opportunities by being social. Using it will help you engage with new and talented people so that you can continue to grow in all aspects. Marketing yourself is essential for getting noticed and driving organic traffic to your blog. As a result, being active on social networks helps you gain more followers and achieve your desired objectives.
In order to generate more traffic, what should you do on social media platforms?
- Engage in regular sharing across all social media platforms
- Looking for suggestions from readers about how to improve
- Make sure people know about your blog.
Start Building Email Lists
You can market your blog effectively with email marketing. By creating a subscription list, you can stay connected to potential clients, sharing your latest post. The latest statistics indicate that Email marketing generates more sales than any other form of marketing. Despite being low-cost, this method produces high results. As a result, building an email list of your visitors can increase your traffic as those visitors are more likely to return. So, choose a suitable email marketing platform before you start blogging.
Here are eight ways to build your own email list
- Attracting users to upgrade.
- Pop-ups with exit-intent.
- Gated content, either entirely or partially.
- Pages that squeeze.
- Referral and loyalty programs.
- Deals and discounts.
- Special notifications.
- Using social media.
Focus on Improving Website Speed
A website's speed plays a vital role in determining: The average number of readers of your blog article is how long? What is the ranking of your website in search engines? What percentage of potential customers actually becomes a customer? The speed of your website is highly important if you want to improve your income and achieve the level you desire.
Do you know how to do that? Check it out
- Ensure that your web hosting platform is reliable
- Ensure there is a trailing slash
- Compress your files with GZIP
- Allow caching in the browser
- To make loading images easier, compress the images
- Streamline HTTP requests, etc.
For people new to blogging, starting a blog may cause a lot of doubt. You might end up giving up on blogging very soon if you don't do the necessary research on 'what to expect' and 'what to do'. So, be ready before you dive into the world of blogging. Indeed, you can be ready by knowing the above twenty things.